Many many years ago, my family lived in Hacienda Heights, CA (near LA) and we were very close to the Kerr family. The Kerr's have four kids that were mostly around the same ages as our five. Bryan, Jodie, Kelly and Becky. We spent a lot of time with them (the Lauper and Faubus families too) and I have a lot of fun memories with them. One in particular was when I was sick at school and my Mom was unable to pick me up, so Suzie did. I laid on their couch and got to watch Footloose until I was picked up by my Mom. Or the fashion shows Jodie and I would put on when we'd get new clothes for our birthday's. Dressing up in friends old prom dresses...fun days at the beach or in our swimming pool.
In 1986 our family moved to Napa and the Kerr's came over the morning we left to say goodbye. I was 9 and I remember feeling really sad that morning. Luckily, we kept in touch.
Jodie and I were the only kids who stayed in (somewhat) close contact over the years. Both being girls and just a year apart, it was easy. Our parents did too, but out of the kids it was us. (Maybe it was a secret plan of our parents to keep us more focused on letter writing and less on the boys! Oh we were so boy crazy! Yes, by 8 years old, I thought I had found my husband). Anyway, we'd fill in the rest of our families through our letters and pictures. Now we can through our blogs!!
Jodie's husband was recently deployed and she is having a rough week, so I thought I'd post some pictures that might make her smile. Well, that is my intention. Sorry if they make you mad. :)
This was probably 8 or 9 years ago. My roommate and I threw a 'Disco Party' and I randomly sent Jodie an invitation (in the mail...no email back then). I got a call from her shortly after telling me she was coming! I was so excited! She was going to school at Long Beach State and she met a guy there who I grew up with in Napa. He happened to be coming home that weekend so she tagged along and got to stay with me! It was so fun showing her off to my crazy friends! Below is us getting ready for the party:
Here is us after the party, talking about the night and getting ready for bed. I look confused, Jodie looks like a model... Now here's the great ones! Shortly after we moved to Napa, the Kerr's came up for a visit. These are all pictures of pictures, so the quality isn't that great. The originals are a little red, I did the best I could. Starting from the left, circling around: Kelly Kerr (batman), Becky Kerr, Jodie Kerr, Bryan Kerr, John Mills, me, then Ryan Mills is standing on top.
Here is Jodie and I in our old driveway. Looks a little like a postcard. It seemed pretty rural back then, it's changed a lot.
Here is a picture I found of me, Jodie (middle) and Kristen. We used to go camping with church and we would have so much fun! I'm guessing this was about 1984. Was this the summer our Mom's gave us our haircuts there? It must have been 1984 because we wanted to be Mary Lou Retton and Julianne McNamara SO BADLY and flip around like them in the summer olympics. I went through a phase where I cut up all my pictures, this is my result.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Calling all Kerr's...
Anyway, this is just a little something for our families to look at and laugh at. It's been fun to keep in contact with them through blogging. All the kids are married with their own families now. It would be a fun reunion someday to get everyone together at Otterbein park and search for tadpoles. (Is that park still there?)
Jodie, hang in there! Steve will be home before you know it. We're all thinking of you guys and sending lots of love and support. I hope these pictures can bring a smile to your face. Call if you need to chat! Love you!
Sassy thoughts by the mrazek family at 8:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 thoughts of your own:
I feel like it was yesterday, listening to Neil Diamond at the Kerr's. I remember that I loved being at their house, I can still picture everyting. The long family table, the organ, the bedrooms, the kitchen, where the phone was and that Susie's Mom would call and let it ring once to let Susie know she got home okay, the Christmas decorations...all of it was wonderful. I'm so glad we grew up knowing the Kerr's.
I loved going to Suzie's, too. Loved her holiday decorations, food and laughter. Nice to have her family in our family memories. I went to her blog this afternoon and happily caught up on her life!
Yes, we all love Kerr's. I totally have buck teeth in the camping picture.
Buck teeth are a lot better than tummy rolls! YIKES! Juli, thank you for the great blog. It totally made me smile and made my day! To this day whenever I watch gymnastics I can't help but think of our own gymnist ambitions together!! Sometime within the past year we watched the video of you, Heidi and me singing I am a Child of God in sacrament meeting, our fluffy dresses and bob hair cuts! Fun memories. Thanks for being a great friend!
Post a Comment