Shortly after I filmed little Alex below, he took a little turn...in the wrong direction.
Sunday he started coughing. The fever appeared Monday. Max already had it so we treated them both as it was the flu. Both were vomiting, etc. The rest of the week is sort of a blur but Thursday morning we rushed to the pediatrician to check out both kids who were not improving.
Max has a double ear infection. Medication prescribed.
Alex was a different story. He, too, had a double ear infection. He was also having trouble breathing. We tried another breathing treatment in the office. Failed. His Oxygen levels dropped to 85 and we were directed to the ER. After a chest x-ray, blood tests and more breathing treatments, he was admitted.
Diagnosis: RSV, bronchialitis, double ear infection, possible pneumonia. By dinner time he was hooked up to two monitors, had an IV going and oxygen tubes attached to his face.
We came home today after a eye opening experience at the hospital. 5 days total. He's doing significantly better and breathing very well on his own. We had incredible nurses and other hospital staff. We LOVE our pediatrician, too. I think any Dr. that can comfort you (and hug you!) during something like this is awesome. So many medical personnel are robots now.
I'm getting myself a little more educated on his diagnosis now. I am so glad I didn't know these things before he was admitted. RSV is very common, as are the other diagnosis, but can also be very severe and can change rapidly.
I'm very happy we were where we were. But, the hospital is definitely a place I do not want to be at again. Unless I'm bringing home a new baby. Not bringing one back.
Off to snuggle my boys.
Monday, March 15, 2010
Hospital stay
Sassy thoughts by the mrazek family at 11:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 thoughts of your own:
I'm so, so glad that he is doing better! Visits to the ER are always such a scary thing and to have to be there for 5 days must have been just awful! Plus he's still so little! I'm so glad that he gets to be home with you guys now, give him plenty of hugs and kisses for us!
What a exhausting thing to go through, emotionally, and physically. So sorry. Glad he is home. Isn't it such a safe place to bring them after being in a hospital? Hope you can just lay around and love on your boys!
Take care hun
Post a Comment